Search your language

viernes, 4 de octubre de 2013

Next station MANHATTAN


Architectural express trip


Just in case some of my dear readers still wonder why I am in the US, since this turns to be my very first post in English, I am at Colgate University working as a Spanish teacher, helping students and professors with their duties as making the atmosphere of this wonderful University a bit more Spanish.
So, among all the courses, lessons, tutoring sessions and activities I am involved daily, there is not much time left for planning trips (since I am actually working on my Master's final project, as well). But here we have the exception, I am extremely happy to share with you guys that, for first time since I arrived to Hamilton the last 26th of August, I am finding myself planning a 9+ hr stay in New York City. yeah

Awesome map I found in the Internet.
It's worth enlarging ;)

The trip has been organized by Colgate for the faculty members and I was surprised of the way I (and all the people coming to the trip) have been informed of such a nice event, and that's the reason I am sharing the informative email with you, it's just so sweet... Food might be terrible here in the States, but they are professionals in terms of arranging group activities.

Then, if you read the email, everyone of us will do whatever the find convenient in the city, so, since I was in NYC back in 2005, I am not willing to walk around the city, eat hotdogs and go shopping, but willing to get to know some of these architectural masterpieces that during the past 8 years I have been studying in my degree (poker face? yes, in some countries like Spain we study degrees for 8 years... and even more) 
Therefore the aim for this post is to share this very first appetizer of modern architecture from New York City that I might enjoy tomorrow and will share with you in the next posts. I also hope it will be useful if you plan to visit NYC.
Idyllically, I will be visiting: Seagrams building, Lever House, Franklin D. Roosevelt Four Freedoms  Park, High Line Park and Flat Iron Building. Idyllically because we have 9 hours, so, lets see what we manage to accomplish.

Seagrams Building - Mies Van der Rohe 

International Style - 1957






Leve House - SOM 

Skidmore, Owings and Merrill - International style - 1952





Franklin D. Roosevelt Four Freedoms  Park - Louis Kahn 

Projected in 1973, its construction didn't start until 2012 and it was opened to the public in 2012.


Highline - Several Designers

Designed as a collaboration between James Corner Field Operations, Diller Scofidio, Renfro, Piet Oudolf and many more professionals - 2009




Flatiron building - Daniel Burnham

American renaissance - 1902









1 comentario:

  1. Ocho años, si son bien aprovechados, dan para mucho. En Anuka esta la muestra. Enhorabuena

    ResponderEliminar